It newspapers in India
Registrar of Newspapers for India
October 31, 2015 – 01:12 pm
more popularly known as RNI
, is a statutory body of Government of India for newspapers in India. It was established on 1 July 1956, on the recommendation of the First Press Commission in 1953 and by amending the Press and Registration of Books Act 1867. The Office of the Registrar of Newspapers for India is headquartered in New Delhi, and has five regional offices at Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bhopal and Guwahati. RNI regulates and monitors printing and publication of newspapers based on the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867 and the Registration of Newspapers
(Central) Rules, 1956. The registrar is designated as Press Registrar, and S M Khan a 1982 batch senior IIS officer is the current Press Registrar and Head of Department.
The Press and Registration of Books Act contains the duties and functions of the RNI. On account of some more responsibilities entrusted upon RNI during all these years, the office is performing both statutory as well as some non-statutory functions. Online registration system was formally inaugurated in 2004 by the Information and Broadcasting Mnister S. Jaipal Reddy.
Under statutory functions, RNI performs the following duties
- Issue of Certificate of Registration to newspapers about availability of titles, to intending publishers for filing declaration;
- Ensuring that newspapers are published in accordance with the provisions of PRB Act 1867 and the rules made thereunder;
- Verification under Section 19-F of PRB Act, of circulation claims furnished by the publishers in their Annual Statements; and
- Preparation and submission to the Government on or before 31 December each year, a report containing all available information and statistics about the press in India with particular reference to the emerging trends in circulation and in the direction of common ownership units etc.
The following fall under the non-statutory functions:
Registrar maintains the legal procedures for registering a newspaper, which can be summarised as:
As a first stage, the applicant applies for title verification of the publication to the jurisdictional District Magistrate. The District Magistrate will get the title verified from RNI.
After receiving the title verification letter from RNI, the applicant needs to file a declaration for authentication before District Magistrate.
After authentication, the newspaper must be published within 6 weeks if it is published once a week or oftener than that. In case of any other periodicity, the first issue should be published within 3 months from the date of authentication.
After the first issue is published, the applicant needs to file an application for registration, enclosing the following documents
Title verification letter
An affidavit for no foreign tie-up
First issue and latest issue of the publication
Content intimation/ confirmation in the prescribed form
You might also like
Newspaper Dash Prank in India Funny Fights With Public
ExclusiveLane Magazine & Newspaper Stand In Sheesham Wood - Wood Magazine Holder/ Wall Hanging Magazine Stand / Wood Magazine Rack / Home Décor / Stationery / Table Top / Office Supplies / Gift
- DIMENSIONS: (L * W * H) = (12.5 * 5.3 * 15.0) Inch
- ART TYPE: Warli & Dhokra Art
- MATERIAL: Magazine Stand: Mango Wood, Figurines: Brass, COLOR: Brown
- PACKAGE CONTENT: 1 Magazine Holder
- SHIPPING: Ships from India. Delivery with expedited shipping.
iPhone 5S Cat Newspaper Art Number 35 India Feline Nbus customize phone cases
- every phone case is unique style
- Luxurious, Slim, Cute, Fashionable, and Stunning Design
- Customize option to create a unique case just for you
- Images are printed from high resolution files for sharp results
- The case was created with a highly flexible material that feels great in your hand and will not warp even after frequently taking it on and off
EXTRA LARGE Flexipod by Innovapod, portable tripod for digital cameras, bendy large flexible and travel compact, camera accessories, revolutionize your photography now
- Innovated tripod; one of the most adaptable camera accessories to mount your SLR. You can mount it on a bridge for time lapses or even video log depending on what...
- Flexible joints; twist and swivel the Innovapod 360 degrees to capture your perfect shot. The adaptable legs allow you to take shots from all angles making this...
- Extra large; this flexipod is extra large and can hold up to 3kg in weight making it near enough possible to hold any DSLR. The adapter screw allows you to mount...
- ABS plastic; the durable material on the extra large flexipod makes it dependable in all conditions. The ABS plastic holds well in every condition and it is resistant...
- 100% refund; if you are not content with the Innovapod we can offer to return your expenses. We aim to keep all of our customers content.
100% Cotton Fabric Quilt Prints - SUPERMAN RED NEWSPAPER / 45" Wide / Sold by the yard SC-177
Art and Craft Supply (Fabric Empire)
- Content : 100% Cotton Fabric
- Width : 44/45 - Characteristics: Light and airy
- Weight : 8 oz per yard
- Fabrics are sold in continuous lengths.Example: If you input 3 in quantity, you will recieve 1 Continuos piece of 3 yards.
- We are tryng our best to ensure we can present the best quality of the fabric colors. But due to different monitor settings. colors might look differently on each...
Ectaco EHi900 Grand Hindi & English Bidirectional Talking Electronic Translator Dictionary & PhraseBook with OCR C-Pen Scanner & GPS Navigation System
CE (Ectaco, Inc.)
- The remarkable new E900 contains everything you need for superior translation and accurate communication. Exclusive User Dictionaries allow you to store your own...
- Using the included OCR C-pen Handheld Scanner you can grab any text wherever you find it. Simply scan the text you want from any paper surface - a book, newspaper...
- Delivering flawless voiced output of all the words in its enormous database with True Voice human pronunciation, the E900 Deluxe offers a unique chance to improve...
- A fully functional talking, translating Audio PhraseBook provides you with all the words and phrases you need to communicate in almost any situation. Divided into...
- Included jetBook Reader lets you read and translate your favorite e-Books. A built-in voice recorder lets you record conversations and audio notes and a robust audio...
Who is editor of the Telegraph newspaper in India?
In the English newspapers (dailies) Times of India is first with 7.4 million reader, The Hindu in second place with 4.06 million and Hindustan Times third with 3.85 million.
These numbers pale in comparison to the local language (vernacular) dailies which stand at over a whopping 200 million. The top two are published in Hindi:
1. Dainik Jagran - 21.2 million
2. Rajastan Patrika - 21.0 million